Apple iOS 12.1 update brings support for the eSIM, a digital SIM that lets you activate a cellular plan from a carrier without the need to use a physical SIM card. The cellular plans can be activated remotely on eSIM.
Apple is offering dual standby option, which means users can switch between two SIM connections in their phone but can only use one at a time.
The update is available on all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the update, go to Settings -> General -> Software Update. As with all iOS updates, iOS 12.1 is free to download.
How to activate manually?
The eSIM functionality on Apple iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max can be activated manually as well. Here is how to enter details manually:
• Go to Settings and open Cellular
• Click on “Add Cellular Plan”
• Choose the “Enter Details Manually” option at the bottom of iPhone screen.
How to switch between eSIMs?
Apple iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max users can store more than one eSIM on their phone, but only one can be used at a time. To switch between eSIMs, open “Settings” menu, and tap on “Celluar”. Next click on “Cellular Plans” to select the plan to use. Finally, click on “Turn On This Line.” Again, eSIM carrier options in India are limited to Reliance Jio and Airtel so that needs to be kept in mind.
How to activate through QR code?
• To activate eSIM option using QR code given by carrier, users will need to go to Settings and open Cellular.
• Click on “Add Cellular Plan”.
• Users will need to scan the QR code provided by their carrier using their iPhone.
• In case, confirmation is needed to activate eSIM, enter the number provided by carrier.
• One can also download carrier app (not available in India currently) to purchase cellular plans.
For more updates and latest tech news please stay tuned to 0gadget.com.